LARSON Manufacturing began in 1954 when Oscar LARSON founded a small door, window, and awning operation in his hometown of Albert Lea, Minnesota. Within a few short years, the company, renamed LARSON Manufacturing, moved to a larger facility in Lake Mills, Iowa.
Production grew quickly, and the company expanded to Brookings, South Dakota
Storm door sales took off in 1966 when LARSON Manufacturing designed and built its first wood core storm door. The 1980’s were a decade of growth for LARSON Manufacturing. The company was the first in the industry to utilize weather-stripping, a magnetic closing that seals like a refrigerator. In 1987, LARSON established a customer service center at its corporate headquarters, another first for the industry.
Over its 50 years in business, LARSON Manufacturing worked hard to become the leading innovator in the industry, and has secured a number of patents for its innovations. In 2000, LARSON introduced more product innovations to its product line than ever before including the Screen Away Storm door, the first storm door in the market to feature a disappearing retractable screen. In the last 4 years alone, LARSON has filed for 16 patents; six have been granted and ten are pending. The patents range from design ideas to technologies including the Screen Away Storm Door.